Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Animal Spotlight

So this week I am going to share some animal pictures just because they are so awesome and need some recognition. The reason why I chose these specifically is that they are each being encroached upon, either by a diminishing habitat or just because humans think they are too dangerous.

1. Grey Wolf



After being off of the Endangered Species list for a short while, the grey wolf was put back on in August 5, 2010. Despite being on the list, grey wolves are still hunted because they disrupt farms.

2. Polar Bear


Polar Bears are slowly becoming extinct. Not only are the ice caps melting away, therefore causing the bears to drown and starve, but their genes are being lost in the Brown Bear genome.


3. Snow Leopard



There are about 6,000 Snow Leopards in the wild, although their numbers are difficult to count, and are under threatened status. Their numbers are low due to scarce food and poaching.

4. Arctic Fox


Although the arctic fox fairs better than the others on this list, two arctic fox population are at a critical state because the market of furs and the result of canine diseases originating from dogs.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Erinn,
    Nice choice of blog topic. I LOVE animals and your choice of picture are so cute. I agree to you that human should be aware of their action which will affect the life of these cute creatures. I think you should talk about Asian black bear. They are threaten by over-hunting as human find their black bear paws, gall bladders and cubs useful. It is also really brutal how humans put them in a really small cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erinn!
    Great topic! Arctic foxes are among my favorite animals and the pictures are beautiful! I'm looking forward to reading your blog and i agree with Wendy, I did a seminar on bear cruelty last year and not a lot of people know about it so it'd be good to spread the word :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erinn,

    I really love these photos (especially of the snow leopards)! I also like how you tied a specific theme around the images.

    I would be quite interested in learning what your opinions are on endangered species that are obviously dangerous to others. Do you feel that the killings or huntings of these animals are justified?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being bias or anything but I really love animals that have a white complexion on their fur. I find it sad that polar bears are on the verge of becoming extinct. I also really love the pictures you chose of the animals

    ReplyDelete