Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tips to be Eco-Friendly

So I have gotten requests to write about tips about how to be environmentally friendly. Well I could tell you some new ones, but first lets go over the ones you hear the most.

  • Use mass transit
  • Turn off the lights when you leave a room
  • Throw away trash and recycle recyclables
  • Reuse rather than throw away

I could tell you more, but you already now this. Why do I need to reinforce something that has been told to you so many times? Is there a special authority about writing in a blog that makes you listen to me?

This is the real advice, if you want to be environmentally friendly, you see something wrong why not do something--anything is good. I have some problems with even following the tips I posted. Some things are just not reachable because it is not available. It also takes time to get these as a habit, and I don’t expect people to change immediately. But when it is there, when there is recycling, walking a meter will not hurt you, it will not make you late for class, but it will save some trees or prevent the plastic from blocking waterways.


Now for the more realistic tips.

  • Don’t settle because it is easier
  • Make the most of what is offered to you
  • Just buying eco-friendly product doesn’t mean that it counteracts how much you buy
  • Get more people to change because one person doesn’t make a difference but many get noticed
I might include more tips, but the best tip I could give you would be to follow your own conscience because I can't tell you anything, except what I think.

7 comments:

  1. Erinn,

    I think the lesson we all gain from this is that discipline and determination is key if you want to achieve anything, and I definitely have neither! Hopefully I am persistent enough to actually make a difference to this Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erin,

    I think that your blog is very beneficial to anyone who reads it. People need to think logically, every little thing helps. And even though you may buy the more eco-friendly products one needs to worry about over buying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Erinn,

    I believe that so many people buy into the whole switch off a light and recycle; it's what the Earth needs. But there is soooooo much more that an individual is capable of doing to help maintain the world. I also agree that in order to make a change we must first vow to be dedicated to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erinn,

    I think what you wrote is absolutely true. There are several small things that people can do to make this a better planet. What we need to learn is that we're not the only generation that will live on Earth, so we must preserve her beauty so that future generations can enjoy everything she has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound reasoning, but you will need much more to get to the root of the problem. You do address not settling for things because they're easier. That's the biggest issue. You have to get the masses to change their habits. It is a challenge. But everything starts with the first step. And if you affected the four commentators before me you're on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erinn,
    Thanks for the tips. Your blog would be such a good way to have announces/updates of the Environmental Club events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you are really concentrated on protecting the environment. This world needs more people like you. I wish ALL Americans would read your post and follow them. If everyone does that, we'll have a better environment in no time.

    ReplyDelete